When Life Gives You A Stubborn Corkscrew, Make White Wine Sangria!

This is another "it can only happen to you Anne!" story and perhaps the reason I am compared to Lucy in I Love Lucy.

Last weekend I was planning on braising chicken in white wine. Simple-right? I put the corkscrew over the neck of the bottle and it got stuck. I tried what seemed like forever to get the corkscrew off and nothing worked. I tried putting a sturdy kitchen knife between the corkscrew and the bottle of wine and instead of the corkscrew coming off, I broke the knife. I tried running hot water followed by cold water over the neck of the bottle to loosen it and that did not work. I tried for a week to uncork the bottle without any luck, finally a  friend managed to uncork the bottle. The chicken already been cooked without wine because of the corkscrew debacle. Why not use the wine to make a pitcher of white wine sangria? Crisp amd refreshing, this sangria is the perfect end to a week of struggles with corks and corkscrews.

                                                          White Wine Sangria
                                                                 adapted from
                                                         At Home With Friends
                                        Spontaneous Celebrations For Any Occasion   
                                                   Michele Adams and Pia Russo


Ingredients
Bottle dry white wine
4 cups fresh strawberries halved
3 oranges, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
ice cubes
1/2 large bottle sparkling water

Directions
In a large pitcher, combine the wine, fruit, and ice cubes. Top off with sparkling water.

Note
The sparkling water in the recipe diluted the sangria. I prefer topping off the drink with a chilled Prosecco.

follow Anne on twitter and Instagram @AnneFretz

Comments