Learning to Love Succotash

I have always loved vegetables and even as a little girl would prefer them to sweets. In fact when I was little, my mother would take my three sisters and me to Schrafft's for ice-cream sundaes.  Much to my sisters' embarrassment, I would order a plate of "sparkly" (broccoli) while they ordered beautiful looking ice-cream sundaes topped with mounds of whipped cream and a cherry.

However there was one vegetable dish I did not like and that was succotash. The succotash I grew up with usually came from a can and was a combination of corn mixed with lima beans floating around in a pasty looking liquid. I pretty much decided I would never try or eat succotash again. That was until I came across a recipe in a delightful novel my daughter Kristin gave me for Mother's Day one year. Succotash With Goat Cheese has turned me into a succotash lover. With its delicious flavors and textures and so easy to prepare,  I know I will be making this dish again soon!

                                                  Succotash with Goat Cheese
                                                               adapted from
                                                       Cooking For Mr. Latte
                                        A Food Lover's Courtship, With Recipes



Ingredients
Coarse sea salt
2 ears corn
1 large handful green beans, stems trimmed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon sliced chives
Freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces fresh goat cheese ( no rind, should be soft),
   puled into hazelnut-sized pieces

Directions
1. Fill a large pot with water. Season generously with salt, and bring to a boil. Add the corn and cook for two minutes. Remove from the water and let cool. Bring the water to a boil and add the beans. Cook until tender but still quite crisp (they will cook more later), about 4 minutes.Drain the beans and dip them in a bowl of ice water to keep them from cooking. Lay the beans on a towel and pat them dry. Then cut them in 1/2" pieces. Cut the corn from the cobs, running the edge of the knife along the cob to extract as many juices as possible.

2. Pour the olive oil in a sauté pan and warm over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the corn and beans and stir to coat with oil. When heated through, sprinkle over the thyme and chives and season with salt. Stir until fragrant. When the taste is to your liking, remove from the heat and grind over the pepper and stir. Spoon into a shallow patter and dot with the lumps of goat cheese.

follow Anne on twitter and Instagram @AnneFretz


Comments