Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese and Avocado

Subways seem to hate me! They either stop between stations due to track work or break down, and sometimes I have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for the next one to come. It seems no matter how carefully I time my subway ride to Grand Central, something happens. Running through Grand Central looking  like a total lunatic, I either manage to get on the train just as the doors are closing or I just miss my train by a few minutes. And today was just one of those days; as I got to the platform, the subway pulled away and I had to wait quite a while for the next one. Since I did not make the train I had planned on taking, I decided to enjoy Grand Central. One of the stores I went into was the Grand Central Market and although I did not plan on buying anything, I ended up with four creamy logs of goat cheese (they were on sale for half price). I made the next train and while on the train I began to wonder which recipe I was going to use for  my goat cheese!

                                               Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
                                                with Goat Cheese and Avocado
                                                                 adapted from
                                                                     Giada's
                                                                Family Diners
                                                           Giada De Laurentis


Ingredients
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon honey
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 medium beets, peeled and cut into wedges
6 cup arugula, stems removed
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
3 ounces goat cheese, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a large piece of foil on a heavy baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar, shallots and honey to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.

In another medium bowl, toss the beets with enough dressing to coat. Place the beet mixture in the center of the foil on the baking sheet. Top with another piece of foil and crimp the edges of the foil to seal tightly. Roast the beets until they are tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.Uncover the beets and continue roasting until they are slightly caramelized , shaking the pan occasionally, about 25 minutes longer. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, toss the arugula, walnuts, and cranberries with enough of the remaining vinegar to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Mound the salad on 4 plates. Arrange the beets around the salad. Sprinkle with the avocado and goat cheese and serve.

follow Anne on twitter and Instagram @AnneFretz


Comments