The Art Of Cooking Tuna Steaks

When I was younger, our neighbour gave us a large portion of fresh tuna steak. My mom poured Wishbone Italian salad dressing over the tuna and baked it in the oven until it was done. It looked just like the tuna from a can, only the flavor was better and it was definitely less oily.

Many years later, my daughter Kristin wanted tuna steaks for dinner so Nick picked up the most beautiful looking tuna steaks. Since I had loved watching my Mom cook tuna steak before, I knew just what to do,, or so I thought I did. The look of horror on both Kristin and Nick's face when I presented them with a well done, cooked all the way through tuna steak let me know I had no idea what I was doing. Once Kristin explained to me tuna steaks should be seared and rare, I never made that mistake again. Salade De Mache incorporates two of my favorite foods, tuna and salad. I will be making this flavorful and delcious recipe often. I am so happy and grateful Kristin taught me the proper way to cook tuna.

                                                          Salade De Mâche,
                                                  Clémentines &Thon Poêlé
                                                         Mache Salad With
                                               Clementines and Seared Tuna
                                                             Adapted from
                                                     Chocolate and Zucchini
                                                           Clotilde Dusoulier

Ingredients
10 cups mache salad (substitute baby spinach, watercress or mixed young greens)
5 small juicy clementine oranges
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
2 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 steaks of fresh sushi-grade ahi tuna
1/4 cup poppy seeds

1. Rinse the mache carefully and spin dry.

2. Squeeze the juice from one clementine- this will yield about 3 teaspoons juice. In a medium bowl, whisk together the clementine juice, balsamic vinegar, parsley and the tablepoon of olive oil, Season with salt and pepper.Season with salt and pepper.

3. Peel the remaining clementines and separate them into segments. Pick any strand of pith from the segment.

4. Pat the tuna dry with paper towels. Pour the poppy seeds in a shallow plate and dip the fish in to coat all sides, pressing gently so the seeds adhere. Toss the mache with the prepared dressing and arrange on plates.

5. Heat the 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Place the fish in the skillet and cook for 1 minute on each side, until the surface is opaque but the flesh is still rare. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the slices onto a board and cut in cubes, working quickly so the fish won't get cold. Top each plate with tuna and clementines segments and serve immediately. 

Note: To add a smokey flavor to the tuna, combine 2 teaspoons sweet Spanish smoked paprika to the poppy seeds.

follow on twitter @Anne Fretz and on Instagram @AnneFretz

Comments