Haricots Verts and Shallots

I have never had a green thumb. Well, that was until this summer. My spice garden is flourishing, my tomato plants are growing with flowers blossoming,  and my seedlings of haricots verts have flowered and are now producing beans.  I am most excited about my haricots verts. You see, my  friends Eileen, Luke, and their little boy Philip gave me two pots of haricots verts seedlings. As happy as I was to receive them, I was as skeptical that I would nurture them to the point of growing beans. Much to my delight I was wrong, I feel like Martha Stewart! The haricots verts are delicious raw or sautéed with shallots. I am grateful to have such giving friends and am thankful to them for bringing out my green thumb.

                                                        Sautéed Haricots Verts
                                                                  and Shallots
                                                                 Adapted from
                                                                Essential Pépin
                                                                 Jaques Pépin

Ingredients:
1 pound haricots verts or very small string
   beans, tips removed
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/ 4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bring 1 1/ 2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the beans and cook, covered, over high heat for 7 to 8 minutes, until they are tender but still firm to the bite. Drain the beans and spread them on a platter to cool.
At serving time, heat the butter and oil in a large skillet. When they are hot, add the shallots and sauté for about 10 seconds. Add the beans, salt, and pepper and sauté for about 2 minutes,  until the beans are heated through. Serve.

Follow Anne on twitter @AnneFretz and Instagram @AnneFretz
                                          

Comments