Slow Cooker Turkey Chili

From the time I was little, I loved going out to eat with my dad. It is because of him I became an adventurous eater. We enjoyed feasting on sauerbraten, spaetzle, and red cabbage in German Town, NYC. Together we savored many wonderful delicacies such as frog legs in buttery sauce and octopus salad.

Years later Kristin, Patrick and I were walking down Broadway and ran into my dad. He said he was going to grab a bowl of chili from Wendy's before going back to work and invited us to join him. Both my dad and I ordered the chili, Kristin had the hamburger with everything, and Patrick the kids' meal. I had no idea my dad liked chili and was happy to discover we had another food to enjoy together.

My father introduced me to new and delectable foods and inspired me to create and seek out new recipes. I dedicate this blog to my dad.

                                                                     Slow Cooker Turkey Chili


Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds ground turkey
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
small yellow onion
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper 
1 pinch ground allspice
1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt 

Directions
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the ground turkey in the skillet and brown evenly. Drain.

In a slow cooker, mix in the turkey, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, and onions. Season with chili powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, black pepper, allspice, cumin, and salt.

Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hour on low.

follow Anne on twitter and Instagram @AnneFretz

Comments