Blistered Shishito Peppers with Olive-and-Basil Salt

A while back Kristin introduced me to shishito peppers. They were so incredibly delicious, I was anxious to make them as soon as possible. However much to my dismay and surprise, I could not find shishito peppers anywhere. Finally after an exhaustive search through Westchester County and a couple boroughs in New York City, I found them in Connecticut. As soon as I got home, I made Blistered Shishito Peppers with Olive-and-Basil Salt. The sweetness with a hint of heat from the peppers along with the saltiness of the olive-and-basil salt melted in my mouth with an explosion of magical flavors. So simple to make, addictive, and decadent, I know I will be making them again very soon. I just hope my search for shishito peppers will be a lot less hellacious.  
                                                                                 
                                                    Blistered Shishito Peppers
                                                    with Olives and Basil Salt
                                                                Courtesy of
                                                              food network
                                                        Giada De Laurentiis


Ingredients
3/4 cup pitted oil-cured olives
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
1 pound shishito peppers

Directions
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.

Place the olives and basil in the bowl of a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add the salt and pulse to combine.  Spread the salt mixture on a baking sheet; place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is quite dry. Remove and let cool, then break apart with your fingers.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the grapeseed oil and give 1 minute to heat up. In batches, so not to overcrowd the pan,  fry the peppers until blistered on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. With tongs or a slotted spoon,  remove the peppers to a paper-towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle with some of the flavored salt; use about 2 tablespoons of the salt mixture and reserve the rest in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a later use.

follow Anne on twitter and Instagram @AnneFretz

 

Comments