Sweet Kale Salad

My love for salad comes from my childhood. We had salad with every dinner, always fresh and delicious, and perhaps my favorite part of the meal. As a child I loved salad so much I would eat it as a snack, for lunch, even breakfast, and sometimes I would opt for salad instead of dessert. 

Recently I was invited for lunch by a dear friend and was served a delectable sweet kale salad. I asked her for the recipe and she shared with me; it was from a bagged salad kit and it had become an obsession with her. 

I could not stop thinking of how delicious this salad was with its luscious flavors and sublime food textures. I knew I would have to try and replicate it. After a few attempts, I finally was able to duplicate this delectable salad. I now make this salad often and it has become one of my favorite dishes. And yes, I still sometimes eat salad for breakfast, especially this one!

                                                                    Sweet Kale Salad


Ingredients
for the dressing
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

for the salad
4 cups chopped kale, stems removed
12 ounce bag broccoli slaw
2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup chopped radicchio 
4 radishes, sliced thinly
1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
1/3 cup chopped candied pecans, almond slivers, or pepitas

Directions
Whisk together the lemon poppy seed dressing ingredients. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the kale, broccoli slaw, Brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, and candied pecans. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine.

follow Anne on twitter, Instagram, and twitter @AnneFretz

Comments